Monday, November 17, 2008

The Destroyer

I like tours. I especially like private tours, where you can ask all the questions you want and go to the places that not everyone sees. So when my friend Jeff invited me on a tour of the destroyer in port, I was excited (despite not knowing what a destroyer was). He didn't think I would want to go, and was worried that I might be bored. He didn't know that I love private tours.

A destroyer is a ship that protects an aircraft carrier, just in case anyone is wondering. An aircraft carrier is never left alone in the ocean, and has destroyers with it at all times.

Anyway, I came straight from work, and unfortunately was wearing heels. Heels were not the footwear of choice for this excursion, and if you ever get invited to a destroyer I wouldn't recommend them. First of all, it was a bit of a walk down the pier to even get to the ship. Second of all, it turns out that the ramps that lead up to the ship, the ones that look like they ever so gradually incline in pictures and movies, are in reality about 45 degrees steep. I would have had a hard time climbing the ramp (I'm sure this is not the correct term for it, by the way) even if I was wearing tennis shoes.

Once I made it up the ramp, I discovered that there are small holes in the metal on all of the outside decks, the perfect size for a heel to slip through. I had a few near faceplants, and got a good calf workout from walking on tip toes.

We went to the control room, and sat in the captain chairs. That gun was definitely loaded.
We went to check out the helicopter. The propellors and tail all fold up so it can fit in it's little hangar. This picture was a insult to Jeff's manliness. Apparently Navy guys don't pose for pictures when they are giving tours, but he was a good sport.
The most exciting part of the tour was our climb down the hatch to the inside of the big gun. Jeff's friend was showing us the gun, and decided that the fastest way down was the hatch in the front of the ship. Jeff was not thrilled with this idea, as he said that hatches are not very easy to negotiate (even for sailors) and he didn't think it was safe to take 3 inexperienced girls down one. Aforementioned heels did not help in negotiating this challenge, which again, would have probably been difficult for me in gym shoes. Hatches look so easy in the movies, and I realize now that I have received a poor education on Navy life from Hollywood.

Here we are inside the gun. I forgot what kind of gun it was, but those bullets to the right are awfully large.
It only took me a few minutes onboard to figure out that a sailors life is most definitely not the life for me. But I had fun anyway.

4 comments:

Shalise said...

Fun! Always gotta love men in uniform, right? Cliche, but somehow true.

A said...

First of all, you are looking super skinny. All your time at the gym has taken hold. You look beautiful even in an navy helmet. I'll hold my second comment for when we talk next...

Rebekah said...

if you want to make jeff mad, call his ship a boat, repeatedly. it really makes those navy types angry, but you'll get a few laughs out of it.

Joanne said...

Haha! I love your writing, Kimberly. It's so fun to come read all about your adventures. I'll have to remember to leave the heels behind next time I'm invited on a destroyer.