Friday, October 3, 2008

The Cat Shirt

When I was in elementary school, my parents went to Texas and brought me back a cream colored t-shirt with forest green cats printed all over it. My love for that shirt was exceeding, and I wore it as often as possible. I am happy to say that I no longer wear any article of clothing more than once in the same week. And lest you think that I wear the same yellow shorts and white t-shirt every time I go sightseeing, I would like it to be known that all of the pictures in said outfit were taken on the same day (I just don't blog in order, or write about everything all at once, which is why you have seen this outfit repeatedly throughout the month of September). My sister was a bit worried that I had relapsed into my cat shirt days when she saw my pictures. Never fear, Katie, for though I have given up wearing makeup and washing my hair every day, I have not sunk so low as to wear the same outfit over and over and over (yet). Now that we've got that cleared up, let's move on to the Bahrain Fort.

This might be my very favorite place so far. The fort is truly beautiful, and I love its its elegance and simplicity. Archaelogists believe that the fort was built by the Portuguese, and have also found the remains of 6 cities built on top of each other in the same area. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site because one of those 6 cities is believed to have been the capital of the Dilmun empire.

They've done a lot of work on refurbishing the fort. It is immaculate! You can see the lights along the ground--it is supposed to be even more striking at night when it is lit up. I will have to go at night before I leave...
More walls.
Trees (other than palms)--something you don't see every day around here...
You can't tell in this picture, but the water here is gorgeous. The bright blues and turquoises are colors you would expect to see in Aruba, but not the Middle East.

2 comments:

A said...

the fort looks beautiful. i loved your story about the cat shirt. you had me rolling on the floor. i knew your clothes were limited--after all you could only take so many suitcases. i thought may be you had made your white top and yellow shorts into your sight seeing outfit. heaven knows i have travel outfits. i pack the same things all the time--it's easier that way. thanks for the clarification and the good laugh. i'm sorry i ever doubted you. i can't believe all of the sight seeing you did in one day. remind me whom you went with? love you!

Shalise said...

I think you should wear it over and over. That outfit could be your turkey trot shirt. I wish that you still had the green cats...I think I would love them. I also wish that I could tour Bahrain with you!