Tuesday, October 7, 2008

It's a Good Thing...

After last week, I decided two things: It's a good thing I don't have naked issues and it's a good thing I don't get offended easily. If I did, I think the week would have done me in. Let me start with a little personal information. I don't know what it is about the hot and humid temperatures here, but they make my hair grow about 5 times faster. I spent the first month and a half shaving my legs every day, and it was starting to drive me crazy. After listening to my complaints, my coworker Deema told me that hairy legs "weren't nice" and that I would never get married unless I had smooth legs. She started recommending places for laser hair removal. The prospect of never having to shave my legs again was quite appealing, and so I decided to humor her. One day she came to the office to tell me that her mom had found a new doctor who did it for about half the price of anyone else. But I couldn't make an appointment myself. Her mom would have to call for me, because there was a waiting list, and her mom knew the doctor and would tell him that I was like her daughter and needed to be seen right away. As in the next day. Her mom was also convinced that I could not go by myself, or I might get lost. She told me to come to her house, and she would have her driver take her to the clinic so that I could follow them. While that was very nice of her, Deema and I assured her that my days of getting lost were over, and I would be just fine going by myself. Her mother finally relented, and decided that as long as Deema met me there, I would be okay. Deema wanted to see the laser that the doctor used before making her own appointment. Unfortunately, the appointment that they worked so hard to get for me was the same night that I was having the Brits for dinner. This was causing me great stress, because the Brit husband does not eat any fruits or vegetables, and the Brit children are extremely picky eaters. I would not recommend trying a new recipe in said situation, and I would classify dinner as a complete failure. Let's just say that I ended up making microwave popcorn for the kids. Anyway, during the course of the evening, the Brit husband asked to see a picture of my family. I showed him a picture from Katie's wedding:He looked at it, and then looked at it again, and then said "Is at ew?" Yes, I told him. "Ew wur a rite lit'l fa'e w'rnt ya," he said. It took me a minute to translate, though I knew it was rude because his wife was giving him a dirty look. (For those of you who haven't figured it out, he said "You were a right little fatty, weren't you".) I would like to know how would you respond to that comment. I was kind of at a loss. He kept going on and on about how he would never in a million years have thought that was me, and how I am so much skinnier now than I was then, etc. I actually think I look almost exactly the same, and I told him so. He disagreed, and then started pointing out differences that he could see. I realized it was a futile argument, and so I finally just told him that I would take it as a compliment that he thought I looked so much better now than I did then. Brits. They're funny. But alas, I had to rush them out of the house in order to get to my laser hair appointment on time. I made it there a few minutes early, with plenty of time to sit and wait for almost an hour and a half. I was more than a little annoyed. And I was the only one coming or going not wearing an abaya and head scarf. Deema looked at the laser, and I expected her to go home after that. But no. She decided to go jewelry shopping at the souk down the road, leaving me with instructions to text her once I was called in to see the doctor so that she could watch. Being a novus to laser hair removal, I was not sure what to expect, but I was fairly certain that it would involve little to no clothing. I was right. But it didn't seem to bother Deema in the least. In fact, she left her spectator position on the couch to come to the table and feel my leg, after which she proceeded to tell the doctor that it wasn't smooth enough. If any of you are looking for ways to bond with your coworkers, may I suggest inviting them to your medical appointments?

3 comments:

Shalise said...

Holy moley. Nothing in the world is going to phase you once you are done with this! How do you feel about the hair removal? Ryan wants laser hair removal.

A said...

this was on my list of conversation topics. i'm so sad i wasted our precious talking time sunday to discuss my work woes. this would have been so much better. i have so many questions for you. the first being, did it hurt? did you laser everything? legs, underarms, etc.? and was it a smoking deal? we need to discuss. this is so on my wish list. i just wish i didn't have naked issued :).

Rebekah said...

i don't believe in hair removal. i embrace nature's woman. i wear my mustache as a badge of honor.

ok, that made me gag a little. let it be known that i fully embrace hair removal.