Friday, October 24, 2008

The Gym

I decided when I moved here that I was going to take advantage of all of my free time and start going to the gym again. It turns out that my life got pretty busy pretty quickly, so all that free time I thought I was going to have is non-existent, but I have to admit that I am proud of my gym-going efforts. I have gone 6 days a week (every day except for Friday, which is our Sabbath) almost without fail. I have only failed 3 times (when I haven't made it home before the gym closes at 11pm). I forgot how good I feel when I work out every day. The gym here is an interesting situation. First of all, Bahraini women don't work out. I live in a hotel that is frequented by expats, which is the only reason we have a gym. And by a gym I mean a room smaller than my apartment, with 2 treadmills, 2 bikes (one of which doesn't work), an elliptical and a Stairmaster. Even though I have never seen any Muslims work out, their rules still apply, and there are signs all over advising you to wear appropriate clothing. There is not to be any mixing of the genders, and they have seperate facilities for "gents" and "ladies." And just in case you forget, there is a subtle reminder by the door: Here are the facilities in all of their glory. There is a TV in the opposite corner as well. I'm not sure how such a small space warrants a need for 2 televisions.

And just in case you were wondering, the men's gym looks exactly the same. I snuck in one day, because I wanted to see if their gym was better. It wasn't. I felt good about that.

About 90% of the time, I am the only one in the gym. My favorite thing to do is sing along (loudly) to my I-Pod. It makes the time go by more quickly, and I'm sure it's good for my lungs. My least favorite thing to do is have the TV on. Besides the fact that I generally dislike TV, I can see it in my peripheral vision on both sides when I am on the elliptical (my workout of choice), and it throws off my balance. If anyone else ever comes in when I am working out, the first thing they ask is, "Do you mind if I put on the telly?" Yes, I mind. But I never say that. "Sure, no problem." Do you mind if I sing?
And finally, after an hour in the gym, I appreciate a cool drink of water. I'm not sure what they have against normal cups here, but my workouts always leave me craving a snow cone.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Kimberly-
Just wanted to tell you I continue to love your blog. seriously so funny and so great to hear about your experience. thanks for putting it all online for us!
how long are you staying there?
do they celebrate halloween?
sarah beesley

Shalise said...

You are hilarious! I'm proud of your gyming efforts! Ryan's been working late and I've not been getting to go lately. It drives me crazy. I think I'll buy an elliptical!

A said...

bkc, i wish we could work out together. i'm so proud of you--only missing three times is pretty amazing. i don't know if i could do it. i went to the gym with y when i was in slc last week. i rediscovered that i am not a gym lover, but i do like to work out. . .what's a girl to do? thanks for being my inspiration!

Unknown said...

k. i am so impressed. wow. i have gone running three times since being in CA. i really miss the water aerobics. i have gained 15 pounds and my clothes do not fit. this isnot an exaggeration. i will have a measure me next time i see her and validate it. it's all the running to the train that i am not doing anymore that is ballooning me. so, again, very proud of you and now i will run. perhaps i can get teh timetable for the local union pacific and tell myself that i MUST get tehre when it arrives with more almonds or cattle feed or whatever it is that trains carry out here.