Sunday, September 14, 2008

If you don't speak the language

I almost wish that everyone here didn't speak English, because imagine the fun to be had using this:
I got it from my travel nurse. I love her--really I do. In the midst of feeling stressed to the max and dealing with a lot of unhelpful people who were supposed to be helping me, she went above and beyond to get things settled for me (and due to the 3 hour appointment, I missed all of my morning meetings). Not only did she give me my shots and fill out my immunization record (and called my mom twice in the process), she also dispensed plenty of advice. She tried to give me a lecture on safe sex in foreign countries, which I assured her I didn't need. She gave me a knowing smile, and continued on. "You don't understand," I said, interrupting her again, "I'm Mormon." That put an end to the talk. Before I left her office, she gave me this folding card with pictures on the front and back. She told me to carry it with me to help with the language barrier. Here are the instructions:

The card has everything (she was sure to point out the X-rated section, and no I am not going to show it to you--this is a family friendly blog) and I am sure that one day it will come in handy. And if I don't end up using it on this trip, you can bet that as soon as I get back to the US, I am going to go to the post office, pretend that I don't speak English, and start pointing at pictures.


3 comments:

Shalise said...

That is so flippin' hilarious! I love how they even have a picture so that you can point if you need a sauna or the window seat on your next flight!

Tara said...

I 3-love you and can't wait to see this precious document....it is a must keep forever.

A said...

may i get a copy. i could have used it during my recent travels. i am loving your adventures. long live the blog!