Friday, September 12, 2008

What not to do

Unfortunately, it appears that I have moved from one island lacking good beaches to another one. Not that I would have wanted to take a dip in the Hudson River, even if the opportunity had presented itself (I've seen the police trolling for what I can only assume are bodies offed by the mafia, and I want no part in that). I'm just saying that living on a island really should have more perks. But I'm not one to sit around when there are new places to explore, so I set out with my new friends (who work on the US military base here) for Al Dar Islands. I had heard good things about them--beautiful, relaxing, a must see, etc., etc., etc. so I was looking forward to the excursion. Unfortunately, it was about 125 degrees (with the heat index) on the day that we went. Unfortunately, the Perisan Gulf water temperature is in the high 80s/low 90s, and not a bit refreshing. And unfortunately, the water is so salty that even if you don't put your face in, your eyes feel like they are on fire when you get out. Perhaps we should have taken a hint when we arrived and the place was desserted. Apparently, Bahrainis know when it is too hot to go to the beach...

On the boat on the way over. This was the best part of the whole day--the breeze felt great, and the awning kept us out of the sun.
See those little straw huts? I spent the whole time underneath one of them. I am definitely not afraid of a sunburn, but I didn't think that spontaneously combusting sounded like very much fun (and even in the shade I came close).Another view of the beach area. Thank goodness for the little cafe with cold bottles of water, and the man walking around with trays of watermelon on ice. You will notice that this picture is quite aesthtically displeasing. I realized after I posted it that nobody would want to look at it, but I couldn't figure out how to unpost it, so it stays. This is why I am looking into a photography class. I apologize for the ugliness.
As you can see, the place was really hopping. Notice the oil refinery in the background. Lovely.

So while I can't say that it would be on the top of my list of recommended places to visit, it was fun to see something new, and if nothing else, now I can say I have swam in the Persian Gulf.



2 comments:

A said...

i notice you are sporting your very own swimsuit cover up and it looks very smashing. makes me wish i had a reason to wear mine. p.s. you are looking skinny. i can already see it in your face ;). three cheers for the gym. wish i could say the same about me.

Tara said...

The oil refinery in the background...I think it looks a little like Aruba....I wish I was there to enjoy it with you.